Case Studies

Office Building
This newly acquired office building was renovated with $4million of new tenant improvements for a total cost basis of $8.85 million. Cost segregation identified over 38% of the total cost as short life property. Learn more
Medical Office
Tenant improvements in medical office buildings, surgery centers, and most specialty medical facilities provide the highest and best use of cost segregation. This medical office nearly 37% of the improvement costs were converted to short life, personal property. Learn more
Shopping Center
This shopping center had a construction cost of just over $16.5 million. Cost segregation identified 28.6% of the total as 15 year property and 13.6% as 5 and 7 year property. 42.2% of the total construction cost was recategorized as short life property. Learn more
Senior Living
Senior living facilities typically have characteristics similar to a high end, multifamily property. This property was acquired for $24.7 million. 29% of the facilities' cost basis was recategorized as short life property. Learn more
Manufacturing
Manufacturing facilities, while possibly housed in concrete tilt-up buildings may require an inordinate amount of specialty items to be added so that the equipment required in the manufacturing process can function. This example from a circuit board manufacturing building ended up with 46% of the total building basis being converted to short life property. Learn more
Casual Dining
This casual dining restaurant was a new build and included the furniture buildout, fixtures and equipment. Total short life property was nearly 60% of the total cost. Learn more
Franchise
This was a ground up new build of a major franchise. All costs were studied including full equipment package. The equipment package, allocated to 7 yr life was 17.8%. The construction aspects that were converted to personal property totaled 34.1% for a total conversion to short-life property of 51.9%. Learn more
Law Office
This free-standing law office building, included high-end appointments and the latest in technology and lighting. Over-all 38.4% of the total costs were allocated to short life property. Learn more

DISCLAIMER: IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained on this website (including any affiliate, parter, associations or links to other websites) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of avoiding penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any tax-related matter. Please contact us if you wish to have formal written advice on this matter.

Contact us to Learn More

Please Enter your Name and Email to request more information.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Please Enter your Name and Email ID to Subscribe to our Newsletter.